Hi, my name is Flora and I talk about personal finance with just about anyone, whether they like it or not (most don’t).
Since you’re here, I take it that you’re volunteering for the position of Captive Audience. Good call. You won’t be disappointed.
Let me guess, you’re driven, passionate about life, and fully committed to reaching your potential. Most importantly, you want to make money work for you, not the other way around.
I hear ya. I’m in the exact same boat.
I’m on a journey to reach financial freedom – the freedom to choose where, when and how I work.
The Person Behind Casual Money Talk
I wasn’t always great with money.
During my early 20s, I pretty much just YOLO’d: I ate out regularly, traveled to exotic places and curated a half-decent wardrobe.
It was an exciting time, but money-wise, all I had to show for was a small amount of cash savings, a 4-digit RRSP account, one life insurance contract, and the remaining balance of my student loan.
I wish I was more mindful of my budget.
When the reality of “adulting” had finally kicked in around the time I got engaged (to the only man who can tolerate my idiosyncratic combination of weirdness and nerdiness), I realized that I need to manage my money better if I want to secure a better future for me and my loved ones.
This much-needed financial wake-up call prompted me to re-examine my life priorities, read a ton on personal finance, and set lofty yet achievable financial goals.
Together with my husband, we are now charting a strategic path toward financial success, which we define as (in sequential order):
- Buy a place of our own – COMPLETED
- Have $1 million in net worth – IN PROGRESS
- Become accredited investors
- Achieve financial independence
What Makes Casual Money Talk Special?
This website used to be all about documenting my personal journey to financial freedom.
Somewhere along the way, I caught the social justice bug, and decided to switch gears and make this site less about me, and more about money issues that plague those who need financial help the most.
Casual Money Talk’s new motto is: inspiring financial confidence in people, one non-judgmental advice, one relatable story at a time. (If it looks a lot like Starbucks’ motto to you, you’re not crazy)
You’re in the right place if you’re looking for any of the following:
- Empowerment – it’s entirely possible to rock your finances even if you’ve had a “late” start and made a few money no-nos in life (who hasn’t?)
- Fresh and actionable advice – ones that transcend common sense, clickbait and boilerplate answers that run amok on the Internet
- Personal stories – see how folks from all walks of life have found their way out of their own maze of financial roadblocks
- Honest opinions – we will continue to lend our voice to the marginalized and speak up for social issues unabashedly
- Jokes, lots and lots of them – enough for an open mic act at a 2nd-tier comedy club
A Few Posts To Get You Started
If you’re the binge reading type, the Archives will serve you well.
Not sure what you’re looking for? Feel free to enjoy this random assortment of articles:
- How to Not Feel Financially Behind Your Friends
- 6 Things You Shouldn’t Feel Guilty Splurging On
- The Dos and Don’ts During a Stock Market Correction
- How to Retire a Millionaire Starting From Scratch at 30
Submit Your Money Story
Eager to pen your epic money saga and have it published on Casual Money Talk? We’ll make sure to give your article a sweet home here.
Let’s Connect on Social
I’m fluent in emojis and so are you. Let’s 🥂!